Ben C. Martin, J.D.Ben Martin has dedicated his career to helping individuals and families whose lives have been shattered by catastrophic injury and wrongful death. He has represented thousands of clients, from people injured in the oilfield to those harmed by medical negligence and dangerous products, including defective machinery, medical devices and pharmaceuticals. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in Texas, Mississippi, California and Arkansas and represents people in all 50 states. Ben is a national leader in IVC filter complication litigation. He is co-lead counsel in Cook IVC filter MDL 2570, Southern District of Indiana and serves on the plaintiffs’ steering committee in Bard IVC filter MDL 2641, District of Arizona. Ben also has extensive experience in both state and federal pharmaceutical cases, representing those harmed by fen-phen, Vioxx, TVM, Risperdal, Xarelto, Zofran and many others.
CertificationsBoard Certified in Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Ben C. Martin lives in Dallas, Texas. His practice extends across the country and he represents people in all fifty states, having tried cases in many of them. From day one he has dedicated his career to representing people who have been harmed by the negligence of corporations including those companies manufacturing dangerous products, medical devices, drugs, and machines.
Transvaginal mesh litigation is a focus of his firm, Ben Martin Law Group’s, day to day activities. He has represented neurologically injured women from vaginal mesh for years, and for years to come intends to afford justice for those with these catastrophic injuries. He has also represented numerous victims of decubitus ulcers caused by hospital and nursing home neglect.
Mr. Martin has settled numerous TVM cases and is serving as lead counsel in ongoing litigation in many more cases involving neurological complications caused by the transvaginal mesh products that have tragically left many victims in their wake. Preparations are being made by Mr. Martin to try cases the firm has filed in both state and federal courts around the country.
Mr. Martin serves in national leadership positions in medical device litigation including his current position as co-lead counsel of the Cook IVC Filter Multi-District litigation, co-lead counsel of the Rex-Argon state court consolidated proceedings in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and serves on several other steering committees in medical device litigation. His recent 3 million dollar verdict obtained against Cook Medical is the first design defect verdict in an IVC filter case and was the largest actual damages award that had ever been entered in any IVC filter case.
Mr. Martin is board certified in both civil trial law and personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This double board certification is held by less than one percent of all Texas lawyers. He is a frequent speaker both nationally and internationally on the topic of pharmaceutical device litigation and products liability. He has served as president of the Dallas chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates and is a member of the executive committee for that chapter. For many years he served as adjunct professor of law, trial advocacy, at Southern Methodist University Law School.
- University of North Texas, B.B.A., 1983
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1986
Awards and Honors
- Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2005-present
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers, 2011-present
- Top 25 Mass Tort Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers, 2016
- AV Preeminent rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- All Texas state courts
- All Pennsylvania state courts
- Member of the bar of the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the U.S. Court of Claims
- Advocate, The American Board of Trial Advocates, Dallas Chapter President 2014-15
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association, Honorary Lifetime Member
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice
- Texas Bar Foundation
Presentations and Publications
- Preparation of the Personal Injury Case – From the Initial Interview Through Trial, State Bar of Texas Summer Bar Seminar, Cancun, Mexico
- Trying the Wrongful Death Case in Texas: Strategies in Preparation and Valuation, National Business Institute, Dallas, Texas
- Personal Injury – Anatomy of a Case, Advanced Civil Trial Seminar for Attorneys, Legal Assistants, and Other Legal Professionals, Legal Assistants Division, State Bar of Texas, Dallas, Texas
- Physician and Hospital Liability, Problem Based Sleep Medicine Course for the Primary Care Practitioner: Establishing a Differential Diagnosis and Treatment Plan, The Houston Sleep Consortium, Houston, Texas
- Evidence for Paralegals: Obtaining, Managing and Using All Types of Information, Opinion Evidence, speaker
- Causation, Texas State Bar 2009 Advanced Personal Injury Trial Course, Dallas, Texas
- Bard G2 IVC Filter Litigation Update Webinar, AAJ Education
- IVC Filter Litigation Update, Mass Torts Made Perfect, Spring and Fall 2016,Spring 2017, Las Vegas, NV
- Filters and Fractures, The Ongoing Saga of IVC Filters, The Trial Lawyer, Spring 2016
- Former Adjunct Professor, Southern Methodist University School of Law
- Former Instructor, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
CALL FOR A FREE CONSULTATION